Sunday, July 5, 2020

This graphic came with the Capital Fund notification.
The Capital Fund email arrived early on the 4th of July, and my first reaction was one of doubt. 
I am not alone in my skepticism. Nobody I know wants to be disappointed. We live in an age where it's wise to mull over any news, big or small. We tell ourselves to take a little breath, and we try to be more logical and analytical, to protect ourselves. But yesterday I didn't want to be Nordic or Vulcan. It's human nature to doubt. But I'm trying to stay positive in 2020, and honestly, it's in my nature to be an optimist. Optimism can be a disappointing point of view, but maybe it's the right point of view. Let me summarize my feelings: YAHOO!

Allow me to explain. I recently left a suburb of Seattle, the land where weather forecasters often use the phrase: WE CAN EXPECT RAIN SHOWERS TOMORROW. At the time of my departure, riots had ravaged downtown businesses. An eight block section of downtown was being ruined by a lot of crazy young people. Arson and thief had become acceptable forms of behavior, on the pretext of Black Lives Matter. Fear was ruling the lives of everyone I knew. I don't buy that justification. Could the death of George Floyd, a black man with a prison record for armed robbery, who was killed by a brutal policeman for allegedly foisting counterfeit bills in Minneapolis, MN, ever be an excuse for ruining an innocent business owner's livelihood, or setting someone's car on fire? Could it ever justify hurling rocks and bottles at policemen who have nothing whatsoever to do with the death of Mr. Floyd? Isn't living in one of the hotspots of the Covid-19 pandemic a reason to be kind to one another, and considerate? No, apparently not. It wore me out. As a writer, artist, and musician, I wanted peace to be my way of life, and being loving my modus operandi.

In summary, I grew weary of the social distancing, the proscribed wearing of masks, and the general malaise that settled like a dark cloud over the Seattle area. Has the world gone mad? Perhaps; or perhaps it had always been on its way there. People carry a lot of anger inside. I can only imagine what will ensue when Trump is reelected. I expect that will not be a pretty picture in America. People in the Pacific NW have wanted a zombie apocalypse for at least a decade; this is their dream come true.

But I digress. I am here to mention this little victory; my having been amongst the Hot 100 in the Capital Fund Screenplay Competition. As I recall, I believe I entered two screenplays, but I could be wrong. I was distracted by the other news, the news that I tried hard to ignore. For brevity, let's say I entered one: 21 Days in Paris. I have high hopes for this screenplay. The email mentioned that it's certainly in the realm of possibilities that a financier, producer, director, or agent may reach out to me, even though I didn't win. There are some things we just can't control. I'm believing in a happy ever after ending to that development. One day I will get that call, or email, with someone eager to buy or option my scripts, or novels. We need little affirmations along the way, bread crumbs to lead us out of the dark woods.

So celebrate with me. Maybe you have had similar happy moments where that little voice in your head, like an aeolian wind, whispered 'Do a happy Snoopy dance.' It was a nice gift on the 4th of July. Maybe those little moments, when the rockets are launched and a myriad starburst of colors festoon the night sky, are symbolic of all our hopes for surprising happiness in life. We all need a little joy, and I had mine yesterday. It's been scribed in the history books now. I have proof I am still on the right track. If we pay attention, we'll see the universe winking at us, giving us hugs to carry on despite the pandemic.

No comments:

Post a Comment