Friday, March 15, 2013

Resveratrol: The new fountain of youth.


If Morpheus asks you, always pick the red pill if it contains Resveratrol.

Juan Ponce de León had a good idea: Find the Fountain of Youth. Alas, it didn’t work out for poor Ponce. 

But for millions of Baby Boomers, who are looking at a steady degradation of youth, there is a potential window left to reclaim their lost youth. What is the name of this magic substance? Resveratrol. It is a chemical found in red wine, red grape skins, purple grape juice, mulberries, and in smaller amounts - in peanuts. Now you know why the French are such notoriously great lovers, despite their poor diets and chain smoking. It is apparently their regular consumption of wine that has given them, 'joie de vivre!'


The “French Paradox”—the observation that mortality from coronary heart disease is relatively low in France despite relatively high levels of dietary saturated fat and cigarette smoking—led to the idea that regular consumption of red wine might provide additional protection from cardiovascular disease. Red wine contains Resveratrol and even higher levels of flavonoids. These polyphenolic compounds have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and other potentially anti-atherogenic effects (in the test tube studies) and in animal models of atherosclerosis.

Personally, I have marveled at the individuals I’ve met who seemed to be in possession of a youth serum. If I must be French to be Peter Pan, sign me up. And while there are many, especially in Hollywood, and probably in France, who use plastic surgery to make it appear as if they are forever young, their internal organs don’t agree with the prima facie evidence. Because, as we all know, beauty is usually only skin deep. But Resveratrol works from the inside out by turning on the SIRT1 ‘longevity gene.’ http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/resveratrol-why-it-works.html

The largest study ever completed of organic food was done in 2007, and the results indicated that organic fruits and vegetables contain 40% more antioxidants than non-organic fruits and vegetables. So organic Resveratrol is better than non-organic Resveratrol. To obtain the potency necessary to turn on the cellular rejuvenation process, it would be necessary to drink about 300 bottles of red wine per day. I don’t know about you, but I can barely get through half a bottle of  Merlot on my own. Knowing the consumption of alcohol has negative side effects, and that no one could drink that much wine, manufacturers such as Reserveage Organics of Gainesville, Florida, put a whopping 250mg of Resveratrol per pill. Take two per day and get the benefits without the hangover.

I don’t want to grow old. Until I found Reservatrol, it seemed I was on the slippery slope of middle age. Having come from a competitive, athletic minded family, I figured I’d outrun Mother Nature. I tried running for a while, but gave it up because of laziness and lack of a running partner. I have played tennis for over thirty years, but at the present time I have no partner. Maybe staying young is all about having a partner. I do a fair amount of cycling. Both Portland and Eugene are bike friendly cities. Cycling has been good for my legs; I haven’t missed driving my car. Swimming would be the best exercise, but because of my allergy to chlorine, swimming would have to be in a saltwater pool, a lake, or the ocean. I also read about the positive boost to testosterone levels that can be achieved by short strenuous workouts. More testosterone means not only better sexual performance, but better health for a man. So I pump iron once a day. Stress is the enemy of good health. Thus, I have been working on being less stressed out. People think I am ten years younger than I am. Maybe by using Resveratrol they’ll think I’m in my early thirties. Or I’ll hover around, like Dick Clark, looking forty-five or fifty at age seventy. How I'll survive financially if I live to be 110, is another question. So obviously, if Resveratrol really works, maybe not everyone should use it. And they won't, because most people don't care about staying healthy. Because staying healthy requires discipline, and most people do not have discipline. But I may be hit by a bus, which is something not even a fountain of youth supplement can prevent.

 My commitment to consuming only organic foods has been strong the last fifteen years, and may be my ticket to living to age ninety. I have only one bad habit, and that is I don’t drink enough water; but finding water that is just water is getting ever more difficult. Tap water is so toxic I avoid it altogether. There are so many bottled waters that have fruit flavors. Bottle water is big business now. Fearing declining soda sales, huge companies like Coke have gone into the water business. Coke makes Vitamin Water, which has a pretty scary list of ingredients. My fear of Bisphenol A makes me paranoid of a lot of plastic bottled water. The fluoride they’ve added to the tap water makes me think of Nazi Germany. Pretty soon I will take up Howard Hugh’s habit of wearing white gloves. 

But I am digressing. Here are the three big benefits of Resveratrol.

• Reduces cardiovascular disease.
• Inhibits the growth of cancerous cells.
• Lengthens the lifespan of animals.

So, by now I hope you are eager to get your hands on this youth serum. And you can; though the price is a bit steep ($40 for a bottle of pills, and $30 for the tonic). But ask yourself if staying young and healthy is worth the investment. I don’t mind being a guinea pig. With Resveratrol, there appears to be no side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment